IRC - Sata Rallye Açores 2012 
Συγγραφέας Μήνυμα
___
Άβαταρ μέλους

Δημοσίευση IRC - Sata Rallye Açores 2012
Συνημμένο:

Παράθεση:
SATA Rallye Açores preview

SATA Rallye Açores stands out as one of the best gravel events on the Intercontinental Rally Challenge schedule.

And for the first time this year, it also marks the opening round of the all-action, 13-event IRC series, which is set to thrill once again in 2012.

Overview

With new and exciting rallies, live television coverage, increased use of SimulCam filming technology, new cars, the addition of several rising star drivers and the likelihood of more nail-biting battles for victory, IRC season six is highly anticipated.

Based on the mid-Atlantic archipelago’s largest island of São Miguel, the rally is characterised by narrow and undulating gravel runs through stunning, lush countryside. Showcase stages include Sete Cidades, which takes competitors along the rim of a dormant volcano, and the Grupo Marques superspecial, purpose-built in a quarry where drivers compete against each other in separate lanes.

This year’s rally consists of 14 special stages over a competitive distance of 198.44 kilometres. Prior to the competitive action getting underway on the afternoon of Thursday 23 February, there’s the new-for-2012 City Stage on host town Ponta Delgada’s promenade on Wednesday night. Although the stage doesn’t towards the final result, participation is compulsory and the atmosphere is set to be electrifying.

Key features

Starting position will be a major factor on SATA Rallye Acores due to the effect of road cleaning, particularly if it’s dry. Drivers running at the head of the field are handicapped by having to sweep a clean line through the loose-surface gravel, which reduces traction and braking performance and effectively benefits the drivers chasing behind.

Caution is also a watchword with the narrow, sandy gravel tracks lined by stone walls, meaning there is little margin for error. While the event has switched from its traditional July slot to a mid-February date, the changeable climate is set to remain a factor with crews braced for a variety of conditions, which influence tyre choice and car set-up.

Five facts

1) Victory for Juho Hänninen on SATA Rallye Açores would make it nine in the IRC for the Finn

2) The Azores lie approximately equidistant between Lisbon and New York in the mid-Atlantic

3) Kris Meeke was victorious when the IRC made its first visit to the Azores, winning in 2009

4) São Miguel is famed for its seafood dishes with the barnacle a particular delicacy

5) This is the first season since 2008 that the IRC season has started with a gravel event

With the Intercontinental Rally Challenge champions of 2011 and 2010, Juho Hänninen and Andreas Mikkelsen, topping the entry, an electrifying battle for victory is expected when IRC season six gets underway on SATA Rallye Açores on Thursday.

The battle for victory

Juho Hänninen won this event last season following a close fight with fellow ŠKODA Fabia driver Andreas Mikkelsen. The Finn is a strong contender for a second successive win but with Norwegian youngster Mikkelsen heading to the Azores on the back of contesting three practice events recently, Hänninen will face a tough challenge from the ŠKODA UK pilot.

Bryan Bouffier returns to IRC action following a hugely impressive 2011 campaign when he claimed a maiden win and also challenged for the title up until the penultimate round in his Peugeot France-backed 207 Super 2000.

Like Bouffier, Portugal’s Bruno Magalhães will also be at the wheel of a 207 S2000 in what is currently a one-off outing for the Lisbon driver as he chases the backing needed for an expanded programme of rallies. Magalhães claimed an emotional victory in the Azores in 2010 and will be reunited with former co-driver Carlos Magalhães (no relation) for his ‘home’ IRC qualifier.

Highly-rated German talents Hermann Gassner Jr and Sepp Wiegand will be out to impress in their Fabias, the car of choice for ex-Middle East championship frontrunner Rashid Al Ketbi, who will be competing under the Skydive Dubai Rally Team banner.

The new Dream Team Ukraine outfit begins its IRC assault in the Azores by entering a brace of M-Sport Ford Fiesta S2000s for Ukrainian drivers Oleksandr Saliuk and Oleksiy Tamrazov.

Event essentials

Event: SATA Rallye Açores, Intercontinental Rally Challenge, round one of 13

Starts: Ponta Delgada, 13:30hrs, Thursday 23 February

Finishes: Ponta Delgada, 17:30hrs, Saturday 25 February

Base and permanent service park: Ponta Delgada, São Miguel

Surface:Gravel

Facts and figures:

Entries received: 39

IRC appearances: Three (2009-2011)

Stages: 14

Stage distance: 198.44 kilometres

Liaison: 503.17 kilometres

Total: 701.61 kilometres

Συμμετοχές

Πρόγραμμα 1 & 2 Σκέλους

Πρόγραμμα 3 Σκέλους

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Σε σχέση με την Ελλάδα οι Αζόρες πάνε 3 ώρες πίσω

Τετ Φεβ 22, 2012 11:42 am
Προφίλ
___
Άβαταρ μέλους

Δημοσίευση Re: IRC - Sata Rallye Açores 2012
Χρόνοι Shakedown

1. Juho Hänninen-Mikko Markkula FIN Škoda Fabia S2000 1:59.1 (3)

-. Andreas Mikkelsen-Ola Floene NOR Škoda Fabia S2000 1:59.1 (4)

3. Bruno Magalhaes-Carlos Magalhaes PRT Peugeot 207 S2000 +1.8 (6)

4. Bryan Bouffier-Xavier Panseri FRA Peugeot 207 S2000 +2.2 (5)

5. Ricardo Moura-Sancho Eiró PRT Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX +7.2 (7)

6. Sepp Wiegand-Timo Gottschalk DEU Škoda Fabia S2000 +7.7 (4)

7. Herman Gassner-Klaus Wicha DEU Škoda Fabia S2000 +9.7 (5)

8. Oleksandr Saliuk-Pavlo Cherepin UKR Ford Fiesta S2000 +11.1 (4)

9. Rashid Al Ketbi-Khalid Al Kendi ARE Škoda Fabia S2000 +12.7 (6)

10. Marco Tempestini-Dorin Pulpea ROU Subaru Impreza Sti R4 +14.0 (5)

Πέμ Φεβ 23, 2012 2:16 pm
Προφίλ
___
Άβαταρ μέλους

Παρ Φεβ 24, 2012 1:32 pm
Προφίλ
___
Άβαταρ μέλους

Παράθεση:
IRC Açores day one review: Mikkelsen tops close battle

Εικόνα

Season six of the Intercontinental Rally Challenge has got off to a thrilling start with Norway’s Andreas Mikkelsen heading Finn Juho Hänninen by a tight margin of 1.4s following the opening three stages of SATA Rallye Açores today (Thursday).

Local hero Ricardo Moura tops the IRC Production Cup category with Harry Hunt, from the United Kingdom, holding the lead of the IRC 2WD Cup.

Mikkelsen, the reigning IRC champion, made the best possible start to his IRC title defence by winning the day’s first test despite picking up a front-left puncture nearing the end of the run.

Hänninen, who beat Mikkelsen to victory in the Azores last season, went quickest on the second stage to narrow the ŠKODA UK Motorsport driver’s advantage only for the former downhill skier to hit back by beating Hänninen, in his factory Fabia Super 2000, in their head-to-head battle through the Grupo Marques superspecial stage in front of thousands of enthusiastic fans.

“It’s been a good start and, as expected, we’re having a close battle with Juho,” said Mikkelsen. “We used today to find a good pace that we’re comfortable with, and we’ll continue with that pace tomorrow. With the top five running in reverse order, we’ll start fifth on the road tomorrow so we’ll try to make sure that plays to our advantage. Today was a bit of a warm-up; tomorrow’s a long day and that’s when the proper rally starts.”

Hanninen added: “It was okay, a little slippery in some places today and some fog, but I am happy. For sure, it is going to be a big fight between me and Andreas. He was really speeding today.”

Bryan Bouffier is the leading Peugeot driver in third overall, one place ahead of Portugal’s Bruno Magalhães, who is driving a similar 207 S2000 on the event he won in 2010. Frenchman Bouffier suggested he needed to find more speed in order to take the fight to the leading ŠKODA duo, while Magalhães lost precious seconds with a handbrake problem on stage two.

ŠKODA Auto Deutschland’s rising German star Sepp Wiegand is an impressive fifth overall on his IRC debut and his first appearance in the Azores. He is 1.7s ahead of Moura, who reported a throttle problem and a brush with a barrier in the superspecial. But with the top five overall positions reversed for day two, Wiegand now faces the prospect of sweeping the loose-surface gravel for his rivals running behind.

Wiegand’s countryman Hermann Gassner Jr is seventh overnight in his Red Bull-backed Fabia, one place ahead of Dream Team Ukraine’s Oleksandr Saliuk, who is driving an M-Sport Ford Fiesta S2000 on his maiden outing in the IRC.

Rashid Al-Ketbi is a strong ninth for the Skydive Dubai Rally Team with Saliuk’s team-mate Oleksiy Tamrazov completing the top 10, just ahead of Romania’s Marco Tempestini in a Subaru Impreza R4 STI.

Friday’s action consists of 82.85 kilometres of competitive action and gets underway with the first of six stages at 10:20hrs local time.

Εικόνα

Παρ Φεβ 24, 2012 3:17 pm
Προφίλ
___
Άβαταρ μέλους

Παράθεση:
IRC Açores day two review: champion closes on glory

Andreas Mikkelsen will start the final day of SATA Rallye Açores with a strong chance of getting the defence of his Intercontinental Rally Challenge title off to a winning start on the demanding gravel event in the mid-Atlantic.

Driving a ŠKODA UK Motorsport Fabia Super 2000, Mikkelsen began Friday’s route with a slender 1.4s margin over Juho Hänninen, IRC champion in 2010 and the winner in the Azores last season.

That advantage grew to more than 13s when the Finn made a rare error on stage five and spun his factory Fabia in slippery conditions on a downhill section.

Although Hänninen salvaged some pride by winning the event’s seventh stage, he faces the prospect of trying to cancel a deficit of 16.2s to Norwegian Mikkelsen on Saturday’s closing quintet of stages.

“There was heavy rain overnight and it made the conditions very tricky today,” said Mikkelsen. “We were pushing quite hard, trying not to make any mistakes. I want to win this rally, that’s why I am here.”

Hänninen has conceded that his only chance of bagging a ninth IRC career victory will be to attack hard on the final day. “I tried but I couldn’t take more time out of Andreas after my spin,” said the factory ŠKODA driver. “Tomorrow is still a long day and I have to try, I have no other option but to attack.”

Bryan Bouffier had been embroiled in a close fight for third with fellow Peugeot 207 S2000 driver Bruno Magalhães until the Portuguese rolled into retirement on stage six, fortunately without injury to he nor co-driver Carlos Magalhães. Left with a comfortable margin over his pursuers, Bouffier has opted for a more cautious approach in his efforts to begin IRC season six with a podium finish.

Red Bull ŠKODA driver Hermann Gassner Jr heads the battle of the young German aces in fourth overall following a strong run through Friday’s final test where Wiegand faltered by stalling his ŠKODA Auto Deutschland-entered Fabia. Neither has competed in the Azores before, while Wiegand is making his IRC debut.

Multiple Azorean rally champion Ricardo Moura has made the most of his intimate knowledge of the archipelago’s stages – and the changeable weather – to occupy sixth overnight and a commanding lead in the IRC Production Cup aboard his Ralliart Mitsubishi Lancer.

Oleksandr Saliuk, in an M-Sport Ford Fiesta S2000, is upholding Dream Team Ukraine honour in seventh after team-mate Oleksiy Tamrazov crashed his similar car. Sérgio Silva has taken over the mantle of leading Subaru Impreza driver in eighth following Romanian Marco Tempestini’s exit due to a crash on stage seven. Ruben Rodrigues and Rui Lousado are ninth and 10th respectively.

There was early drama in the IRC 2WD Cup when Harry Hunt dropped out of the category lead shortly after the start of Friday’s first stage. The Briton went off the road on a slippery downhill section and damaged his car’s radiator to the extent he was unable to continue. His misfortune has handed Paulo Maciel a clear lead in the category ahead of Ivo Nogueira and French Renault Clio pilot Robert Consani.

Rashid Al-Ketbi’s bid for IRC points on his second ever start in the series ended when he retired his Skydive Dubai Rally Team Fabia with suspension damage on stage five.

Saturday’s itinerary covers five special stages over a competitive distance of 85.44 kilometres starting with the 19.6-kilometre Graminhais test at 09:56hrs local

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Σάβ Φεβ 25, 2012 12:39 pm
Προφίλ
___
Άβαταρ μέλους

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Σάβ Φεβ 25, 2012 12:44 pm
Προφίλ
___
Άβαταρ μέλους

Παράθεση:
IRC Açores day three review: New IRC record for winner Mikkelsen

Εικόνα

Andreas Mikkelsen has begun the defence of his Intercontinental Rally Challenge title in style by winning SATA Rallye Açores this afternoon (Saturday) following three days and almost 200 kilometres of thrilling high-speed action.

Juho Hänninen, the 2010 IRC champion and the winner of this event last term, made it a one-two for ŠKODA by claiming second overall with Bryan Bouffier the top Peugeot finisher in third. Local hero Ricardo Moura, in sixth, took top honours in the IRC Production Cup with Paulo Maciel claiming victory in the IRC 2WD Cup.

Mikkelsen’s performance, which extends his run of victories in the IRC to three in a row after he won the 2011 season-closing rounds in Scotland and Cyprus – a new IRC record – earned him the prestigious Colin McRae IRC Flat Out Trophy, awarded to the driver whose heroics behind the wheel best embody the spirit of the rallying legend.

“This is the perfect start to the season, I am so happy for the ŠKODA UK team, for my co-driver Ola [Fløene] and this is the perfect result for ŠKODA,” said Mikkelsen, who set the fastest time on 10 stages. “We had a tough fight with Juho and we had to push but it couldn’t have gone better.”

Hänninen started the event as one of the favourites for victory but a costly spin on Friday morning meant he had to settle for second best in his factory-run Fabia.

“We came here for the victory but it was not good enough to stop Andreas,” said the Finn, the most successful driver in the history of the IRC. “Andreas made no mistake, I made a big one – he made a good rally and deserved his victory.”

Bryan Bouffier had been embroiled in a close fight for the final podium spot with fellow Peugeot 207 S2000 driver Bruno Magalhães until the Portuguese crashed out on day two. It left Frenchman Bouffier to take a comfortable third overall. “To be on the podium on the opening round is very good and thanks to Peugeot for a really good car for this race,” he said.

ŠKODA Auto Deutschland’s Sepp Wiegand, making his IRC debut, won the battle to be the top German rising star in impressive fashion after he demoted Hermann Gassner Jr to fifth on Saturday’s first stage when Gassner Jr stalled the engine of his Red Bull Fabia S2000. And it got worse for Gassner Jr when he picked up a right-rear puncture after he struck an earth bank on the penultimate stage in his efforts to close up to Wiegand, whose decision to use soft compound tyres on Saturday morning’s loop of stages paid dividends.

“This is a really big moment for me on my second rally on gravel and my first in the IRC,” said Wiegand. “To be in the top five is unbelievable, I’m really, really happy.”

Behind sixth-placed IRC Production Cup winner Moura, Oleksandr Saliuk starred on his IRC debut in seventh on his first outing in an M-Sport Ford Fiesta S2000. The Dream Team Ukraine driver set out with the sole aim of finishing so was thrilled to reach the end of the rain-affected event. Third fastest time on the second run through the Grupo Marques superspecial was a personal highlight for Saliuk.

Sérgio Silva was the leading Subaru driver in eighth overall with Ruben Rodrigues ninth and Miguel Barbosa claiming the final IRC point in 10th.

Rashid Al-Ketbi and Oleksiy Tamrazov both returned to the action on Saturday after their exits on Friday and both gained valuable experience with Skydive Dubai Rally Team’s Al-Ketbi particularly pleased afterwards. “It was very important for my team to be at the finish line and I have learned so much,” said the Emirati. “For these reasons I am very happy.”

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Εικόνα

Κυρ Φεβ 26, 2012 4:48 pm
Προφίλ
___
Άβαταρ μέλους

Κυρ Φεβ 26, 2012 9:31 pm
Προφίλ
___